MASTER'S PROGRAM IN ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING
General information about the training program
1. Traning goals
a. General goals
The Master’s Program in Environmental Engineering provides, enhances and updates learners with in-depth expertise knowledge in the field of environmental technology and engineering, and the ability to apply specialized knowledge in the practical activities. The program trains learners to become cadres with the ability to think independently and creatively working at environmental treatment stations/ plants; doing management work in ministries, branches and companies; working as lecturers or scientific researchers in universities and research institutes and as PhD students at domestic and international universities, especially at Japanese universities.
b. Specific training goals
– Knowledge: The research-oriented Master’s Program in Environmental Engineering equips and updates for learners the advanced and in-depth knowledge on various aspects in the field of environmental technology and engineering, initially orients research for students through master thesis.
– Skills: The program provides learners with professional skills related to analysis, assessment, design, processing, environmental forecasting, as well as soft skills to support their research and work process.
– Ethics: The training program helps learners practice and promote personal, professional and social ethical qualities, including: Enthusiasm, sense of discipline, motivation, and high adaptability multicultural environment and new circumstances, respecting cultural diversity. Have high responsibility for work, be ready to cope with difficulties and pressure at work, be able to work independently and in groups, lead professional groups, be passionate, honest, creative in research research, adhere to research ethics, have a desire to apply what have learnt to solve practical environmental problems. Show the right awareness of environmental protection, have high responsibility towards society, and comply with the law.
7. Slogan and core value
– Slogan of the training program:
Meet social requirements, toward sustainable environment.
– Core values of the training program:
+ High quality: MEE ensures the high quality education and the advanced research in the field of environmental engineering to meet the demands of learners and requirements of society toward a sustainable development.
+ Social responsibility: MEE commits to foster lecturers and students to contribute to solving both global and local environmental issues. Lecturers and students always respect the spirit of serving society to actively contribute to the sustainable development in Asia.
+ Internationality: MEE provides international learning and working environment with the cooperation of well-experienced lecturers and experts from different nationalities. Innovations toward an international environment are created by all lecturers and students with understanding and respect for the cultural diversity.
+ Learning in practice: MEE provides practical learning environment, in addition to theoretical contents, through experience-based activities including internship and fieldwork. The program ensures abundant opportunities for students to enhance their research capacity.
Graduates of the Master’ Program in Environmental Engineering can take up the following positions:
– Learners can work as specialists, experts or managers and operators at environmental treatment stations/plants, foreign-invested companies or environmental protection funds, non-governmental organizations … with professional work relevant to the environment.
– Researchers or lecturers at research centers, institutes, universities, colleges or other educational institutions with the training program of the environmental science;
– Become an environmental manager in state agencies and enterprises.
– Ph.D. in leading universities in several countries
- High-quality lecturers organized by excellent Professors and Lecturers from Vietnam and Japan in all courses.
- Many opportunities for participating in collaborative research projects with excellent Professors and Lecturers from Vietnam and Japan.
- Dedicated laboratory facilities with advanced analysis instruments and educational spaces.
- Warm relationship between lecturers, faculties and students.
- Full/partial scholarship every semester and internship activities in Japan for qualified students.
- Competitive advantage in future career.
- MEE has been assessed to be in accordance with requirements of the ASEAN UNIVERSITY NETWORK QUALITY ASSURANCE STANDARD (AUN-QA)
University of Tokyo, partner university of the Master of Area Studies program. This is the most prestigious university in Japan, ranked 36th in the world in 2020 according to The Times Higher Education World University Rangkings
Ritsumeikan University is one of the finest Japanese private universities, especially in terms of education and research quality.
Dr. Nguyen Thi An hang
The Master’s program in Environmental Engineering (MEE) at Vietnam Japan University, VNU, Ha Noi, offers attractive lectures on environmental technologies and their practical applications. You will also experience excellent practice and internship activities in Japan and Vietnam. Moreover, as MEE’s students, you can join in doing research projects with the leading Japanese and Vietnamese professors. This is an excellent opportunity for you to develop your research capacity, become a co-author of high-quality publications in prestigious peer-reviewed journals, and be sponsored to attend national and international scientific conferences. These are essentials for those who wish to pursue PhD study after graduation. We strongly support you in career orientation with helpful information on Japanese employers. With an advanced learning curriculum and bright career opportunities, MEE at VJU can be a master choice for your future.
Prof. Hiroyuki Katayama
Faculty members from the Department of Urban Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo will actively participate in the Master’s Program in Environmental Engineering at the Vietnam -Japan University. In particular, we are aware of the role that environmental engineering plays in global trends, including sustainable development goals, and we will provide cutting-edge technologies and knowledge in the research fields. We also intend to prepare field exercise programs that include the active participation of students of the University of Tokyo. The Vietnam-Japan University has a recommendation quota by the Japanese Embassy, and up to now, about three students each year have been supported to study in Japan for doctoral courses. We welcome all ambitious students.
Prof. Hashimoto Seiji
MEE is one of the master programs in VJU that most powerfully promotes research activities and aims for VJU to be a Strong Research University. The lectures on environmental engineering are attractive to famous Vietnamese and Japanese professors, including theoretical and practical content. The MEE students also have joined in the internship in Japan and the field trip in Vietnam. Environmental engineering aims to solve global or local environmental issues in the world. The research topics are widespread in water resources, air pollution, solid waste, wastewater, biodiversity, chemicals, energy saving, material recycling, etc. They are all carried out for human happiness and environmental protection worldwide. Please join MEE to understand the attractive joy and valuable task of research activities. In addition, after completing MEE study, many students continue their research in Ph.D. programs worldwide on scholarships.
|Course Code||Course Title||Number of Credit|
|ENG5001||English B2 (Postgraduate)||5|
|Basic and specialized knowledge||30|
|VJU6001||Basis sustainability science||3|
|VJU6002||Methodology and informatics for sustainable science||3|
|VJU6243||Environmental management systems||2|
|VJU6262||Environmental analysis and measurement||3|
|VJU6245||Environmental assessment and modeling||2|
|VJU6263||Water and wastewater engineering||3|
|VJU6257||Material cycles and solid waste management||3|
|VJU6265||Chemical reaction engineering||2|
|VJU6252||Air emission and quality control||3|
|VJU6256||Environmental engineering laboratory||3|
|VJU6264||Environmental management in Vietnam and Japan||2|
|VJU6266||Advanced computer applications in environment||3|
|VJU6250||Global environmental issues||2|
|VJU6267||Waste to energy||2|
|VJU6268||Data analysis in environmental engineering||3|
Scholarships and tuition assistance
Typical students/ Alumni
1. Admission methods
– Interviews and review of applications
– Direct offer
Admission information according to the Admission regulations, the Annual graduate admission guidelines of VNU, and the Admission plan of VNU-VJU approved by VNU (if any).
2. Admission requirements
– Degree: Having a university degree in the correct major and appropriate major .
– Work experience:
+ Applicants are required to have GPA≥ 2.5/4.0.
+ One year of work experience is required for applicants graduated in the correct or appropriate majors with GPA < 2.5/4.0.
+ Two years of work experience is required for applicants graduated in relevant majors with GPA < 2.5/4.0.
– Foreign language proficiency: applicant must possess an English language proficiency that meets one of the following requirements:
+ Holding a valid English certificate within 2 years from the exam date to the date of submission and was issued by an institution recognized by VNU. The minimum English certificate must be level 4/6 (B2) or equivalent. By enrollment time, student must submit English certificate of level 4/6 (B2) to be recognized as an official student of the university.
+ Holding a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree, or a Ph.D. degree of an English-medium full-time study program in a country where English is used as the official language. The degree must be recognized by relevant agencies in accordance with current regulations.
+ Holding a bachelor’s degree of an advanced training program under MoET’s Project on advanced training in some Vietnamese universities; Graduated from talented, international, advanced, honor bachelor’s program or master’s program which have foreign language expected learning outcome equivalent to the level 4/6 onward of Vietnamese 6-level of foreign language ability framework within 2 years to the date of admission (expiry date does not apply to VNU’s degree).
3. List of correct major, appropriate majors of the proposed training program
– The correct major: Environmental technology engineering
– The appropriate majors:
+ The appropriate majors (without supplementary study requirement): Chemical engineering technology, Environmental engineering, Environmental science, Water resource engineering.
+ The appropriate majors (with supplementary study requirement): Applicants graduated from other majors in the fields of Engineering Technology (Group of Architectural and Construction Engineering Technology, Chemical Technology, Materials, Metallurgy and Environment), Engineering (Group of majors) Chemical, materials, metallurgical and environmental engineering, Geological, geophysical and geodetic engineering, Mining engineering), Architecture and construction, Natural sciences; majors in the fields of Life Sciences, Health (Pharmacy, Public Health), Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Environment and environmental protection, Production and processing, Peach creating teachers (physics pedagogy, chemistry pedagogy, biology pedagogy, industrial engineering pedagogy, agricultural engineering pedagogy, technology pedagogy, natural science pedagogy); highly interdisciplinary industries; Training courses abroad will be considered and decided by the Admissions Council based on the application documents.
4. List of supplementary courses needed for closely related majors
|No||Name of Course||Credit|
|1||Academic English in the field of environmental engineering||3|
|2||Environmental analysis methods||3|
|3||Fundamental environmental technology||3|
|4||Heat transfer & mass transfer||3|
5. Estimated enrollment quota:
– 10 students/batch
P.506, 5th floor, Vietnam Japan University, Luu Huu Phuoc Street, My Dinh 1 Urban Area, Nam Tu Liem District, Hanoi
– Program Director: Dr. Nguyen Thi An Hang, email: email@example.com
– Program Coordinator: Dr. Tran Thi Viet Ha, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Facuty assisstant in charge: MSc. Nguyen Thi Hong Nhung, email: email@example.com